`GtkIconTheme` provides a facility for loading themed icons.
The main reason for using a name rather than simply providing a filename is to allow different icons to be used depending on what “icon
theme” is selected by the user. The operation of icon themes on Linux and Unix follows the
Icon Theme Specification There is a fallback icon theme,
named `hicolor`, where applications should install their icons, but additional icon themes can be installed as operating system vendors and
In many cases, named themes are used indirectly, via [class@Gtk.Image] rather than directly, but looking up icons directly is also simple. The
`GtkIconTheme` object acts as a database of all the icons in the current theme. You can create new `GtkIconTheme` objects, but it’s much more
efficient to use the standard icon theme of the `GtkWidget` so that the icon information is shared with other people looking up icons.
```c GtkIconTheme *icon_theme; GtkIconPaintable *icon; GdkPaintable *paintable;
icon_theme = gtk_icon_theme_get_for_display (gtk_widget_get_display (my_widget)); icon = gtk_icon_theme_lookup_icon (icon_theme,
"my-icon-name", // icon name 48, // icon size 1, // scale 0, // flags); paintable = GDK_PAINTABLE (icon); // Use the paintable g_object_unref
- public void add_resource_path (string path)
Adds a resource path that will be looked at when looking for icons, similar
to search paths.
- public void add_search_path (string path)
Appends a directory to the search path.
- public unowned Display? get_display ()
Returns the display that the `GtkIconTheme` object was created for.
- public string get_icon_names ()
Lists the names of icons in the current icon theme.
- public int get_icon_sizes (string icon_name)
Returns an array of integers describing the sizes at which the icon is
available without scaling.
- public string? get_resource_path ()
Gets the current resource path.
- public string? get_search_path ()
Gets the current search path.
- public string get_theme_name ()
Gets the current icon theme name.
- public bool has_icon (string icon_name)
Checks whether an icon theme includes an icon for a particular name.
- public IconPaintable lookup_by_gicon (Icon icon, int size, int scale, TextDirection direction, IconLookupFlags flags)
Looks up a icon for a desired size and window scale.
- public IconPaintable lookup_icon (string icon_name, string? fallbacks, int size, int scale, TextDirection direction, IconLookupFlags flags)
Looks up a named icon for a desired size and window scale, returning a
- public void set_resource_path (string path)
Sets the resource paths that will be looked at when looking for icons,
similar to search paths.
- public void set_search_path (string? path)
Sets the search path for the icon theme object.
- public void set_theme_name (string? theme_name)
Sets the name of the icon theme that the `GtkIconTheme` object uses
overriding system configuration.